STEM Read Summer Institute 2019
NIU STEM Read Educator Program
Be a part of NIU STEM Read! Become a NIU STEM Read Educator!
As a NIU STEM Read Educator, you will learn how to facilitate an action-packed STEM Read event in your school! You will also have access to the materials and resources you need to make your STEM Read event a success.
As a STEM Read Educator you will
- Attend a three-day STEM Read Summer Institute from July 24 – July 26, 2019
- Receive Digital Toolkits for the 2018 -2019 STEM Read events and one archived toolkit from the STEM Read Vault
- Be able to check out STEM Read Event kits housed in the NIU College of Education’s Children’s Literature Teaching Collection
- Have access to one NIU STEM Read Educator webinar per semester for the 2019-2020 school year
- Be able to set up virtual coaching sessions with the NIU STEM Read Team during the 2019-2020 school year
- Receive an official NIU STEM Read Educator digital badge for your email and website
Other benefits include
- Early access to on campus STEM Read events
- Discount registration for on campus STEM Read PD sessions during the 2019-2020 school year
- Discount registration for the 2020 NIU STEM Read Summer Institute
- Opportunities to network and connect with other NIU STEM Read Educators
STEM Read Summer Institute
During the three-day summer institute, you will become an expert in STEM Read’s unique approach to learning through gamified STEM Read field trips. Each day you will experience a new NIU STEM Read field trip. After each filed trip, you will work with the NIU STEM Read experts to learn how they designed each event and learn how to facilitate each one at your own school. You will also gain tips and tricks for how to adapt and modify the events to best fit the needs of your locations. The institute will include time for networking and collaborating with your fellow NIU STEM Read Educators and an author of one of our STEM Read selections.
This year’s special guests are Lex Hrabe and Thomas Voorhies. Otherwise known as writing team Lex Thomas. Authors of the Quarantine Series.
Become a STEM Read Educator at the STEM Read Summer Institute
Cost: $495 (Early Bird before June 1 - $425) per person*
* If you are interested in receiving Graduate credit from the College of Education, please contact Melanie Koss (email@example.com).
Date: July 24 – July 26
Time: 9:00 – 3:30 with possible optional evening events
Location: Gable Hall, Learning Center, DeKalb, IL
- Continental breakfast
- Campus parking
- STEM Read book pack.
Attendees are responsible for their own housing and travel.
About NIU STEM Read
Northern Illinois University’s STEM Read helps readers increase their knowledge of STEM concepts and their enthusiasm for reading and learning while integrating the language arts, math, and new science standards. We select popular fiction books with a basis in science, technology, engineering, or math. Then we work with experts to create and deliver live events, videos, and online games and resources that explore the science behind the fiction. In the past year, our program has impacted thousands of people both online and throughout the region.
Friday, July 26 at 9:00 AM to 3:30 PM
Gabel Hall, Learning Center
245 University Cir, DeKalb, IL 60115